Friday, May 10, 2013

Non Scale progress

It is so easy to get focused on the scale and feel discouraged when you don't see that number getting smaller fast enough. Even I have this problem. I often get let down by what I see or don't see on the scale. Often I will feel like I have worked really hard and yet I am not loosing the amount I think I should be.

I will track everything I eat all day everyday!! I get in my activity and drink lots of water, yet I get to my weight watchers meeting and I gain! :-( Talk about depressed and discouraged!! One way I stay positive and I continue to loose weight is by focusing on my non-scale victories. Here's a list of them so far:

  1. I am down almost 2 full pants sizes!!
  2. I have no problem running for 90 seconds-2 minutes at a time
  3. I can run with my son and not feel as out of shape as before
  4. I actually enjoy getting outside to exercise
  5. My shirts are all a smaller size than before
  6. I am under the max weight for my camp chair
  7. I have inspired others
  8. My wedding rings are getting loose
  9. I can hold a plank for 1 whole minute
  10. I have dropped my BMI by 5 points since I started my journey....Only 10 to go and I will no longer be obese!!!!
  11. I am no longer pre-hypertension
These might seem like small things and some are health related and some are not! Either way not one of these are related to the scale. I'm not really sure what my favorite thing on this list is but I love that I have so many. As I continue to loose weight I will continue to see my list grow.

Something else that has always helped me is setting non-scale goals each week. These goals can be anything as long as they are not related to the scale. Here's a list of just a few of the goals I have set in the past.

  1. Walk 4-5 times this week
  2. Drink 120 oz of water each day
  3. Track at least one meal every day
  4. Track everyday
  5. Do C25K training at least 3 days this week
These goals will change as you go further in your journey. For example if you are already walking 4 days your goal might be to go 6 days. If you already track at least one meal every day make it your goal to track two meals!

Be sure to reward yourself for reaching your goals! Weather it's something small like a sticker or just pointing out to yourself and others that you have reached your goals for that week. I NEVER reward myself with food though. When I do eat something that isn't the best for me, I am sure not to call it a treat either. That's not to say that I don't eat these things because I sometimes do, but I am more aware of them and I do them less often.

I am so very excited that I can finally fee like I am getting a handle on this whole weigh loss thing. I know I still have a long way to go, and that I have alot of bad habits that I have to get rid of, but the one thing that continues to ring in my head over and over is:

                              "Tough times don't last, tough people do."

2 comments:

  1. Thank you!! It took me a long time to focus on these types of things but now that I am able to focus on these non-scale things, I am happier and I feel like the weight has come off quicker :)

    ReplyDelete