Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Adjusting to Pre-K

This post was a request. I have spent some time thinking about how it relates to health and weight loss and this is what I have been able to come up with: When your child starts school you want to insure that you are able to continue to lead a healthy lifestyle for both yourself and your family. This can often be hard, esp if your child is starting school for the first time. I have learned over the last few weeks since my son started back at school that it has really helped me to get my children involved in our healthy routine. I make sure that he gets plenty of sleep at night and I wake him up at least an hour before we need to leave for school that way he isn't rushed in the morning and school doesn't feel like he is being punished by me sending him to school. I make sure that my son gets a healthy lunch at school. This is easier than you think!! If you don't pack a school lunch, eating healthy is no problem. At my son's school, not only so they offer fresh fruit and veggies, they also offer a salad bar! All you have to do is make sure your child is eating healthy at home so they know how to make healthy choices at school as well!! Get your child involved!! I let my son help me pack his lunch, this way he knows what he is eating and I know it's healthy and what he wants :) You are also teaching your child what is healthy and what isn't. Once my son gets home, it is very CRAZY!!! in my house. he fights with his sister, he is tired and cranky, and a lot of time he's hungry because he eats lunch so early (even though he gets an afternoon snack) I find myself wanting to pull my hair out because it seems like WW3 is breaking out in my house. I have tried to maintain a healthy balance. We walk to and from school, this also helps get some of the energy out. I allow my son to have a snack before he does his homework. I sometimes let him take a small nap after he does him homework (sleep is very important) He doesn't always take a nap and more and more lately he decides not to. I think the best bit of advice I can give when adjusting not just to Pre-K but to anything new is routine is key!!! Once you are able to establish a good routine being and staying healthy will fall right into line :)

No comments:

Post a Comment